Foldered & Finished: White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection

The White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection (1958-1972) is processed and ready for researchers. The finding aid for the papers and digitized selections are now available on DigitalCommons@ACU.

“The Pentateuch” outline, box 21, folder 14, White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection, 1958-1972. Center for Restoration Studies MS#471. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching was founded in 1964 in West Monroe, Louisiana as part of a wave of schools of preaching founded in the 1960s in response to the lacuna that was preaching vacancies. The school of Preaching was pietistic in its theological approach. The curriculum was heavily bibliocentric with, essentially, all of its documents explicitly or implicitly pertaining to the biblical text. White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching closed in 1992, however, the latest documents within this collection date to 1972.

“Bible Introduction,” box 1, folder 2, White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching Collection, 1958-1972. Center for Restoration Studies MS#471. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

This collection contains documents from the White’s Ferry Road School of Preaching which includes syllabi, lesson plans, lecture manuscripts, sermons, polemics and apologetic materials. Materials included within this collection were used for classes at the school of preaching. Most documents within this collection are either loosely exegetical or homiletic materials concerning the biblical text. A smaller portion of the collection is devoted to practical theological matters concerning the Churches of Christ as well as apologetic and polemic materials. The most prolific contributors to this collection of texts include Ed Sanders, William H. Smith, Harold G. Taylor, and J.J. Turner. Other notable authors whose documents are included within this collection are J.D. Bales, L.V. Pfeifer, and Paul C. Witt.

Folder & Finished: William Mardell Lynch Papers

The William Mardell Lynch Papers (1939-2003) are processed and ready for researchers. The finding aid for the papers is now available on DigitalCommons@ACU and several items from the collection are digitized and available on DigitalCommons@ACU.

Sermon outline for Immortality, Box 11, Folder I, 1st drawer, William Mardell Lynch Papers, 1915-2003. Center for Restoration Studies MS #16. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

William Mardell Lynch was a Church of Christ preacher and writer. He began preaching in Memphis, Tennessee in 1939. He also wrote articles for the Gospel Advocate and other publications. In addition, he self-published two short books in 1956, “The Tobacco Tormentors” and “The Hydrogen Bomb and our Most Effective Defense Against It.”

Sermon outline for Is it Possible to be Religious and not be a Christian?, Box 11, Folder R, 1st drawer, William Mardell Lynch Papers, 1915-2003. Center for Restoration Studies MS #16. Abilene Christian University Special Collections and Archives, Brown Library. Abilene Christian University, Abilene, TX.

​This collection contains some of the personal and professional papers of William Mardell Lynch, including correspondence, research materials, photographs, and church bulletins. The collections is housed in 29 boxes and contains 6 series.